QuickBooks company (QBW) file contains data related to company, vendors, customers, and employees. However, sometimes, the QBW file gets corrupted due to virus attacks, sudden QuickBooks application termination, network issues, etc. In this situation, when you try to access the company file, you may get random errors, such as “QuickBooks cannot open the company file”, “QuickBooks found some issue with your company file,” etc. This can prevent you from accessing the company file data. Therefore, you need to repair qbw file as soon as possible. In this post, we’ll explain different methods to repair damaged/corrupted company files in QuickBooks.
Effective Methods to Repair and Restore Corrupt QuickBooks Company Files
You can follow the below methods to repair and restore data from corrupt QBW files:
1 – Restore Company File from Backup
If your QuickBooks company file is damaged or corrupted, you can try restoring the backup file (if you have an updated backup file). Here’s how to restore the company file from backup:
- Open your QuickBooks application.
- Click the File option and select Open or Restore Company.
- Click Restore a backup copy and then click Next.
- Click on the Browse option to search for the backup company file (.QBB).
- Click on the folder where you want to save the restored file.
- Click Open. (If you see a message to overwrite your data, click the suitable option.)
- Once you are prepared, click the Save option.
However, if it does not work, you can use the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (ADR) feature. It is a built-in feature in QuickBooks to recover data from corrupt company file. To use this feature, ensure your company file folder has a transaction log file and .QBW.adr file. Also, your backup file size should be less than 1.5 GB to use the ADR feature. This option is not available in QuickBooks Accountant editions.
2 – Use QuickBooks Repair Tools
QuickBooks has a Verify and Rebuild Data tool that verifies and rebuilds the QBW file data. If your company file is corrupted, you can use this tool to rebuild the file data. If it does not work, you can use QuickBooks Tool Hub’s utilities. The QuickBooks Tool Hub contains many QuickBooks repair tools, such as QuickBooks File Doctor and QuickBooks Fix My File. Follow the steps below:
- First, download, install, and launch the advanced version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- On the tool hub, click Company File Issues.
- Click the Quick Fix My File button.
- If it fails, click on the option labeled – Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- In the QuickBooks File Doctor window, click Browse to select the company file from the dropdown menu.
- Click the option labeled – Check your file and then click Continue.
- Enter your QuickBooks credentials and then click Next. Wait a few minutes till the scan is complete.
What if nothing works?
The above QuickBooks repair tools can fix minor or mild issues in QuickBooks company files. However, if your company file is highly corrupted, then take the help of QuickBooks repair tools, like Stellar Repair for QuickBooks. It is a powerful tool to repair severely corrupted QuickBooks company files, without any file size limitations. It can restore all the data from corrupted company file, including the data of company, vendors, employees, etc. The tool is compatible with all editions of QuickBooks, including Pro, Premier, and Enterprise solutions. You can use the demo version of the tool to scan the corrupt file and preview the repairable data.
Corruption in QuickBooks company files is a common issue that can occur due to multiple reasons, like issues in the hard disk, sudden power failure, etc. You can follow the methods mentioned in this post to repair the QuickBooks company file data. If the QBW file is severely corrupted, then you can opt for an advanced QuickBooks repair tool. Stellar Repair for QuickBooks is one such DIY tool that thoroughly scans the company file and helps restore all the company file data with complete integrity. You can download the tool on a Windows system. It supports all Windows editions, including Windows 11.
Also visit Digital Global Times for more quality informative content.