How to get PSM certification? Here are details
Scrum masters need to have a solid understanding of Scrum to be successful. They must understand the values and principles of Scrum. They should be able to deliver good performance in dynamic and challenging environments. Being a Scrum Master is more about the practical implementation of skills than theoretical knowledge. A Scrum Master should know how to handle obstacles and eliminate them. He/She ensures quick delivery within the deadline. The role of a Scrum master seems like a project management role, but it is very different. It not only demands good interpersonal skills but also good technical skills.
To ensure that you have the skills and knowledge to become a successful Scrum master, you must get certified by a reliable organization. PSM or Professional Scrum Master is a highly reliable certification awarded by Scrum.org. It focuses on developing your skills and teaching you the right approaches and adopting an Agile mindset. PSM assessments are considered more valuable and significant than available Scrum certifications. Certification is more than attending classes. It is about the learnings and intake from the certification and adopting the skills to apply in the real world. PSM course focuses on this principle which makes it relevant and valuable through various inspections.
It is not mandatory for you to attend training in order to gain this certification, but it is recommended to go through it in order to increase your chances of success. There are three levels in the PSM certification exam. They are as follows:
- PSM I (beginner): People who pass the PSM I certification exam demonstrate a strong fundamental level of Scrum knowledge and skills. The certification proves that they understand Scrum as described in the Scrum Guide and how to apply their skills in real-world Scrum teams. You do not need to have prior work experience to appear for this exam.
- PSM II ( intermediate): People with PSM II certification proves that they have an understanding of the underlying principles of Scrum and they can effectively apply them in the real-time world. PSM I is a prerequisite for taking the PSM II exam. You must have at least one year of experience to take this exam.
- PSM III (advanced): People with this level of certification demonstrate a distinguished level of Scrum mastery. It proves that the individual has a deep understanding of Scrum values and principles and can apply his/ her learnings in complex real-world situations.
Benefits of PSM certification:
- A solid foundation of Scrum: The syllabus and content of the PSM certification exam are designed in a way to give you the best possible knowledge and approach to excel in your career. With the right skills and knowledge, you will gain confidence that will reflect in your work. Having a Scrum certification will help to develop your base in Scrum. You will learn different skills to work in complex environments. Even if you are an experienced professional, a PSM certification will help you to fill your knowledge gaps and perform better in your work. Either you are already working in Scrum or you want to transition your career into the Scrum domain for better opportunities, Professional Scrum Master Training will provide you the best knowledge and skills to fulfill your goals.
- You will stay marketable and relevant: You will be able to market yourself to top management within your organization. The level of understanding you possess in Agile practices will make you highly reputed in your organization and you will gain the respect of your colleagues. You will be trusted with critical and challenging roles because you have the trust of your peers. Hence, you will get opportunities to learn and grow in your career. Your skills will make you gain the trust of your clients and your organization will consider you an asset. This will also lead to faster promotion within your organization.
- Badge of honor: If you are skilled and knowledgeable and you are good at implementing Scrum in your work area, you can inspire your employees to get trained and certified as well. This shows your commitment to the growth and development of your employees. When you exhibit your skills and competencies in your organization, it inspires people around you to learn the same skills. This will benefit your organization on a large scale. The more the number of certified employees, the more productivity the organization can receive from them. It also helps them step up their career ladder. So it is a win-win situation, both for the organization and the employees.
- Higher salary: According to a report by Forbes, certified IT professionals get around $17,000 more than non-certified professionals. The PSM certification is valued among the industries, and companies are willing to pay more for the skills that a certified professional acquires. The primary reason for the higher salary of a certified Scrum master is the wide gap between the demand and supply of certified Scrum professionals. Companies prefer certified professionals since the role of a Scrum master directly impacts their success. Certification is proof of the required competencies and skills needed for a Scrum master. The gap is huge and will be increasing in the upcoming times since more companies are adopting Scrum.
Scroll the rest of the site for more informative posts!
Author Bio: Rajesh Jujare has extensive experience with Inbound marketing for various industries like eCommerce, Manufacturing, Real-estate, education, and advertising. Having worked with a reputed digital marketing agency, he has a stronghold on Content curation, SME acquisition, and White hat link building techniques. Rajesh has hands-on experience in Influencer marketing and worked with International influencers