Definition of digital marketing: what is it?
Digital Marketing is the marketing of products or services using digital technologies on the Internet, including through applications for mobile phones, display ads, social networks and other digital media. Digital marketing channels are internet-based systems that can create, accelerate, and transmit product value from producer to end consumer through digital networks. wikipedia
The different types of digital marketing:
We prefer to use the terminology “digital marketing channels” rather than “types”, as each channel that can be used to reach potential customers can be complex depending on the level of integration and the tactics you apply in your strategy and campaigns. digital marketing.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization: All practices aimed at optimizing the natural referencing of your site (free)
- SEA: Search Engine Advertising: Any form of paid advertising on search engines (Yahoo, Google Adwords, etc.)
- SEM: Search Engine Marketing: Includes both natural and paid referencing (SEO + SEA)
- SMO: Social Media Optimization: All practices for optimizing presence on social networks
- SMA: Social Media Advertising: All tools for creating paid advertising on social networks
- SMM: Social Media Marketing: Includes all techniques of promotion via social networks (SMO + SMA)
- Affiliation: The purpose of the affiliation is to promote products and services by having recourse to what affiliate partners offer.You can expand your knowledge on this by reading a Wealthy Affiliate or Wealthy Affiliate Review.
- E-mailing: Emailing is a form of digital marketing that brings together all the uses of email in the field of online advertising.
- SMS marketing: SMS marketing refers to sending short messages to prospects and for commercial purposes.
Definition of digital marketing:
The use of the Internet and other digital media and technologies to support “modern marketing” has given rise to a bewildering array of labels and jargon created by academics and professionals. It has been called digital marketing, internet marketing, electronic marketing and web marketing, and these alternative terms have varied over time …
The term ‘digital marketing’ is the term most frequently used today, as these definitions of digital marketing indicate. So this is the term we are focusing on.
Due to the recent debate on the use of the term “digital marketing”, we thought it would be useful to define exactly what digital means by a definition. Are definitions important? We believe so, because within an organization or between a company and its customers, we need clarity to support the goals and activities that support digital transformation. As we will see, many other definitions are misleading.
What is digital marketing?
I expand on this definition of digital marketing to explain that, in practice, digital marketing includes managing different forms of online business presence and presences, such as corporate websites, mobile apps, and pages. social media business. This approach is associated with online communication techniques, such as search engine marketing, social media marketing, online advertising, email marketing, and partnership agreements with other websites.
These techniques are used to support new customer acquisition goals and to provide existing customers with services that help develop customer relationships through the automation of E-CRM and marketing. However, for digital marketing to be successful, it is still necessary to integrate these techniques with traditional mediums such as print, television and direct mail as part of a multi-channel marketing communication.
If we take a look at these other definitions of digital marketing, such as SAS digital marketing:
What is digital marketing and why is it important?
We can also see that this alternate definition of digital marketing from Wikipedia focuses on promoting products and services using digital media rather than a more holistic definition covering customer experiences, relationship development and emphasizing the importance of digital marketing. multichannel integration. So, for us, the scope of the term should include activities throughout the customer lifecycle:
- Digital media and communication channels.
- Digital and mobile experiences such as web design and mobile apps.
- Management of prospects and customer relations through marketing automation.
- Digital strategy and integration of communications and multichannel experiences.
- Technologies and digital platforms to manage all digital marketing activities.
The role of digital platforms in supporting integrated multi-channel marketing is an important part of digital marketing, but is often overlooked. In many ways, this shows how important it is to break down the silos between “digital” and “traditional” marketing departments. Online channels can also be managed to support the entire buying process, from pre-sale to post-sale and subsequent development of customer relationships.
Definition of marketing:
It is important to remember that although digital marketing uses different communication techniques than traditional marketing, its end goals are no different from those of marketing. It can be easy to set goals for digital marketing based on “vanity metrics” such as number of “likes” or followers. It is therefore useful to keep in mind this definition of marketing advanced by the Chartered Institute of Marketing:
This definition emphasizes customer-centric marketing while implying the need to link with other business operations to achieve this profitability. Still, this definition is weak when it comes to digital marketing because it doesn’t focus on the communications that are so important to digital marketing. In Digital Marketing Excellence, my co-author, PR Smith, and I note that digital marketing can be used to support the following goals:
- Identify– The Internet can be used for marketing research to find out the needs and wants of customers.
- Anticipate– The Internet provides an additional channel through which customers can access information and make purchases – assessing this demand is essential to manage resource allocation.
- Satisfactory– a key factor for successful digital marketing is customer satisfaction through the digital channel, which raises questions such as: is the site easy to use, does it work well? What is the associated level of customer service and how are physical products shipped?
Optimizing digital marketing can be tricky and a simple definition does not necessarily translate into something useful in achieving business goals. This is where the RACE digital marketing planning framework comes in, as it can help break down digital marketing into more manageable areas, which can then be planned, managed, and optimized.