IVF is also known as In Vitro Fertilisation is a series of procedure that helps a woman to conceive. This is when the human egg is fertilized with the help of sperm in a laboratory. Then the fertilized egg (also known as an embryo) is implanted in the uterus to lead to pregnancy.
When it comes to IVF treatment, one has to go through a process that is quite lengthy. And so, one needs to keep patient till they get pregnant.
What happens during the IVF process?
Each IVF cycle occurs with each menstrual cycle of a woman. Here are the few steps that one needs to take:
- On the first day of the menstrual cycle, there has to be a blood test in the fertility clinic.
- On the second or third day of the cycle, the hormone stimulation treatment will begin. One has to start taking medicines that can stimulate the follicles and produce many eggs.
- Once the eggs reach a certain size – one should be injected with an injection that contains hormones and it will trigger the ovary to release an egg.
- After 36 hours of the trigger shot, the eggs will be retrieved and then the fertility specialist will use a thin needle to retrieve them.
- If one is using their partner’s sperm then they will provide the sample on the same day of egg collection. Sometimes a surgical procedure can be done to extract the sperms directly from the testicles. One can also use frozen donor sperm.
- Healthy sperms and eggs are brought together on a dish and they are incubated overnight. Sometimes another procedure is needed when the sperm quality is really low.
- After 3 to 5 days of egg retrieval, the fertility specialist with transferring the embryo back to the uterus. A good quality embryo can also be kept frozen for some time without transferring and it can be done later depending on one’s circumstances.
- Once the embryo is transferred, one has to wait for 2 weeks before they can go for a pregnancy test. Blood tests are more reliable than home tests.
What are the reasons for using IVF?
This is used mostly to treat infertility issues because of some genetic problems. This can also help people who belong to a gender-diverse community to start a family. Single people who want a child can go through this process. Before going for IVF in full form in Hindi one should know what can be the reasons for which they can go for it.
- Low sperm count
- Problems with the fallopian tubes
- If one of the partners is sterilized
- Problems with endometriosis
Sometimes people who are suffering from cancer can have their healthy sperms or eggs frozen before starting their cancer treatment.
In the case of some people, IVF is a preferred treatment from the very beginning. Others may choose to try other treatments like artificial insemination, fertility drugs, etc first.
The chance of success with IVF depends on a lot of factors. The age of the woman, their partner’s sperm count, and other things. But there are high chances of a successful pregnancy in the end.