What Is a VPN and What Are the Different VPN Types
Do you think you are secure enough when you are online?
Most people neglect the fact that what they do online can be easily tracked, and they can become a target of hackers. When you shop online, you enter all the data that someone needs to get anything they want from other shops or even take some quick loans.
So, do you take any measures about it? A VPN can save you so much trouble if you use it to protect yourself. Let’s find out more about VPNs and what types there are.
What is a VPN, and how does it work?
A Virtual Private Network or VPN is a tool that will hide your real IP and mask all of your online activity. This happens thanks to the redirection through remote servers that are called hosts.
And at the end, this means that no one will be able to see what you did online, steal your data and abuse it. Even your Internet Server Provider (ISP) won’t be able to know what you are doing online.
What are the benefits of a VPN?
There are many benefits of using a VPN, but we are going to mention just a couple:
- Security — Your VPN will encrypt your data, and it will look like nonsense for people who try to access it. So, your browsing history, your personal data, your digital interactions, all this will be well protected. So if you shop online, access your taxes, insurance, banking, etc. it is always better to have your VPN on.
- Access to restricted content — This is great for people who also love to stream. So if, for example, you would like to access the content of Netflix available only in the UK on your FireStick, then you need a VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. This will give you the possibility to mask your location and, in this way, will make the streaming provider believe that you are actually in the UK, and you will be able to watch the content available there.
- Secure your work data — If you are working from home, it is more than necessary for you to secure your data. You might have access to sensitive data for your clients or for your company that can be exposed if you don’t take the measures needed to protect it.
What kind of VPNs are there?
There are many types of VPNs out there, and most of them are a perfect fit for daily use, but let’s look into the details:
- Remote Access VPNs — This type lets you connect to a private network through the internet. You will have to use a VPN client and configure your device, but it is something very easy to do. This VPN client will connect to the one at the end of the network, and it will work like magic.
- Personal VPN Services — This is something you can use for any personal use. Your VPN client will be a middleman who connects to other similar VPN clients. But the difference between a private and removed VPN is that the private one will give you the option to connect to other private networks.
- Mobile VPNs — Remote and personal VPNs are perfect for people that will use them from one location. But if you need a VPN when you are on the move, then you will need a mobile one. This VPN type will take this into consideration that your internet might not be very stable but will still keep running.
- Site-to-Site VPNs — This type of VPN connects networks that are on different sites. For example, if you have a company with offices with multiple locations, this is the perfect type of VPN for you because you will be able to join the two connections into one network.
Your privacy and security should be one of your biggest priorities. You are most probably insuring your most valuable possessions to make sure they are well protected, but why not do the same when it comes to your private information and online activity?
Using a VPN is almost mandatory nowadays when cyberattacks happen so often, and everyone can become a victim of one. Do detailed research and choose the perfect VPN for yourself to make sure your security is guaranteed.
One thought on “What Is a VPN and What Are the Different VPN Types”
Pingback: How To Save Big On Cybersecurity Tools - Digital Global Times